VB6 Migration at a Glance
Jan 06, 2017 Converting VB6 to VB.NET is hard: VB6 existed for the only reason of being able to hide the complexities of COM. VB.NET is entirely based on COM exposing its complexities. Problems related to multithreaded Windows Forms were resolved in VB6 by blocking it. VB.NET utilizes WinForms as it is an essential graphical user interface API for creating.
- Modern Code and UI: We convert your old VB6 applications to .NET code (C# or VB.NET) and modernize the user interface.
- Risk-free: We guarantee every conversion to perform as the original application and to work with the latest technology.
- Save Time and Money: We use proprietary tools and a team of experienced developers to lower the cost and time of conversion by 80% compared to a manual rewrite.
- Web Application: We also give you the option to convert your VB6 code to a real-time web application in C# or VB.NET based on Wisej.
The .NET environment provides so many new options which we will now use to quickly implement our new ideas.
Fujitsu Technology Solutions
Our Migration Process
We use our automated tools and a team of migration developers to convert your VB6 code to a modern Visual Studio solution. Our approach minimizes code changes and applies a consistent set of customized rules to the source code – the result is high quality, documented, and maintainable C# or VB.NET code.
- Free Analysis & Detailed Analysis
- Proposal with several customization and price levels
- Project setup – Kick off meeting
- Code migration
- Code finalization
- Tests & Training
- Quality assurance
All our Migration Projects follow a proven procedure model. The only variables are the service level and customization options.
Our first step is to perform an initial Free Analysis of your entire system. Using one of our automated tools, we gather key statistical information about your code allowing us to estimate the time/cost of the project with a high degree of accuracy and to detect any potential issue early on. Before starting the project, we present the result of our Free Analysis, including any potential challenge, and give you a complete picture of your project. The next step is to prepare a fixed-price offer and a Detailed Analysis. After reviewing the source code, we work out a detailed plan and build a prototype following your requirements. You will know exactly what we will deliver, the expected performance, and quality of the converted code and UI.
Our conversion approach, methodology, and technology allow us to complete a conversion project in 15 – 20 percent of the cost/time of a new implementation. Most projects will need between two to six months.
Information: We provide an information package with reference examples, answer all your initial questions in an on-site meeting or an online demonstration, and advise on the difference technology choices and migration approaches.
Free Analysis: Our assessment tool analyzes the source code and creates a categorized list of tasks. This lets us estimate the time, effort, risk and cost of the migration project with 80% to 90% accuracy.
Detailed Analysis: We examine the entire code of your applications, verify the results from the Free Analysis, and provide you with an accurate project proposal including several project models and price levels. The fee for the Detailed Analysis is usually very low and is provided during the Free Analysis result presentation.
Project Setup: We coordinate with you the precise timetable for the project, define the target structure of the entire system, and prepare the workspace for the migration. We are able to maintain the code-freeze period to a minimum and, if necessary, update the migration with fresh bug fixes that you may have applied during the code-freeze period.
Code Migration: Our automated tools generate the new C# or VB.NET code and Visual Studio solutions. We run this step several times with different settings and/or customized filters to achieve the best possible result and, if necessary, customize the output.
Code Finalization: During the finalization step one, the migration team assigned to your project checks and completes the generated projects; they implement custom controls, verify all form layouts, complete all reports, and perform basic functional tests.
User Acceptance Tests: The migration team executes basic, functional and manual tests. You are required to provide click-through use cases using our video capturing tool. We measure the test results using a code coverage tool and ask for additional click-through tests when necessary. With the all-inclusive project we’ll fix all the issues that may arise during your user acceptance test. In other types of project models, our developers will train and support your team during this step.
Training: We hold workshops and training sessions to introduce your developers to the migrated application and new technologies. We also offer additional advanced training and extended support agreements beyond the warranty period included in the project.
Further Development: We are available to further enhance the migrated application, to migrate it to a web application later on, create a new front-end for mobile devices and develop additional modules. In other words, we can support you long after the project is completed.
Project types go from the more expensive All-inclusive Model, basically a turn-key solution, to the more involved Integrated-project Model where your team is integrated in the project significantly lowering the external cost. Our All-inclusive Project type is guaranteed 100% and is virtually risk free. Before committing to anything, you will have already evaluated the converted code, a prototype, project plans, a detailed timetable, and a complete overview of the full solution. We also offer a lower-cost alternative Integrated-project type for companies that want to use their own teams in the conversion project. We take the lead and work with your team during the entire conversion process.
Our tool-based migration approach presents a unique opportunity to modernize the code and the user interface (UI) at once.
We develop individually tailored project plans based on these four models:
- Classic Conversion. We convert your legacy VB6 application to a .NET Visual Studio solution, either using C# or VB.NET. Your new system will run like your old, but in a new technology, compatible with Windows 10, and native 64 bit.
Convert Vb6 To Vb.net Tools Download
- Conversion + User Interface. We convert your legacy code and at the same time create a new modern look & feel: we modernize all forms and color patterns, build a new navigation model based on the ribbon-bar, accordion, and tabbed MDI controls, and resize all controls to fit and adapt to the new modernized forms.
- Conversion + Web Architecture. We convert your legacy application to a real-time web application in either C# or VB.NET. Your new system will run entirely in a web server in-house or on the cloud and will be usable on any device.
- Conversion + User Interface + Web Architecture. We convert your application, create a brand new modern UI, and make it a real-time web application based on HTML5 and WebSocket. Your new system, with a modern sleek UI, will run entirely in a web server in-house or on the cloud and will be usable on any device.
We used our 15+ years of code modernization experience to build vbPORTER: our own VB6 conversion technology.
vbPORTER understands your source code. It doesn’t simply translate old keywords with new ones. It actually applies customizable transposition rules to code patterns and to entire controls and their members. The resulting Code Object Model is rendered to either C# or VB.NET resulting in consistent and well designed code. Earlier tools, including Microsoft’s VB6 converter, were limited to keyword replacement and couldn’t generate usable code, especially when used with real life applications. vbPORTER masters complex mappings and correctly integrates existing and new controls, including third party components.
Product of the Microsoft Office pack, Excel is the most commonly used spreadsheet programs. All along its history, Excel has been improved with many possibilities, especially with the support of VBA language (Visual Basic for Applications). This interpreted language lets you quickly develop real softwares, writing files, accessing databases... embedded in a simple workbook.
This powerfull capability has wrong sides :
- Excel-VBA applications can contain malwares. Therefore, Excel shows an alert message each time a workbook containing VBA code is opened (except if the workbook is signed).
- Comfort of development, handy even for non-computer engineers, can lead to the staging of IT solutions that become strategical for the company, beyond the controled and secured development processes.
Facing these issues, Microsoft has annonced that it has stopped the support of VBA language, although current versions of Excel still let users run and maintain Excel-VBA applications.At the same time, the .Net framework provided by Microsoft allows to keep on implementing applications that use Excel features (or others products of Office pack), by the use of interoperability librairies (Interop).
Convert Vb6 To Vb.net Tools Windows 10
.Net supports several languages : VB, C#, J#... but it is said that possibilities of Interop to use Excel are more efficient in VB language. Added with that, the syntax of VB.Net is the closest to the one of VBA. Therefore it is natural to prefer conversion of VBA into VB.Net.